Gynaecomastia, or male breast enlargement, is a condition that affects many men, causing embarrassment and self-consciousness. Fortunately, male breast reduction surgery, also known as gynaecomastia surgery, can effectively address this issue by removing excess skin, glandular tissue and fat to create a flatter, more masculine chest. In this blog post, we will discuss gynaecomastia surgery in detail, including its benefits, risks, and the recovery process. We will also provide essential information about seeking gynaecomastia surgery in London and Hertfordshire.
Gynaecomastia is a common condition characterised by the enlargement of male breast tissue, which can affect men of all ages. The condition can be caused by various factors, including hormonal imbalances, obesity, certain medications, and the natural ageing process.
Benefits of Gynaecomastia Surgery
Gynaecomastia surgery can effectively remove excess breast tissue and fat, resulting in a flatter, more masculine chest appearance. This can help patients feel more confident in their appearance and more comfortable in social situations.
Men with enlarged breasts often experience physical discomfort, such as chafing or irritation, when wearing tight clothing or engaging in physical activities. Gynaecomastia surgery can alleviate these discomforts by reducing the size of the breasts.
The results of gynaecomastia surgery are generally long-lasting, particularly if the patient maintains a stable weight and healthy lifestyle. This means that the benefits of the surgery can be enjoyed for many years to come.
Unsightly and uncomfortable fatty breast tissue can successfully be removed with male breast reduction surgery.
Male Breast Reduction Procedures in London and Hertfordshire
If you are considering gynaecomastia surgery, it is essential to choose an experienced and reputable surgeon. At HR Plastic Surgery, our highly skilled surgeon specialises in a range of procedures, including gynaecomastia surgery in London, and is dedicated to providing the highest level of care and support to our patients.
The Gynaecomastia Surgery Procedure
Gynaecomastia surgery is typically performed under general anaesthesia and takes approximately one to two hours to complete. The specific technique used will depend on the patient’s unique needs and the surgeon’s preferred approach. The most common techniques include:
- Liposuction: If the primary cause of the enlarged breasts is excess fat, liposuction may be used to remove the fat and contour the chest. During this procedure, a small incision is made, and a thin, hollow tube called a cannula is inserted to suction out the fat.
- Excision: If the primary cause of the enlarged breasts is excess glandular tissue, an excision technique may be used. During this procedure, the surgeon makes an incision around the areola and removes the excess tissue. Excess skin can also be removed if necessary through the same incision.
- Combination of liposuction and excision: In some cases, a combination of liposuction and excision techniques may be used to achieve the best results.
Recovery and Aftercare
Following gynaecomastia removal surgery in London, patients can expect some swelling, bruising, and discomfort in the treated area. These symptoms are typically mild and subside within one to two weeks. The surgeon will provide specific aftercare instructions, which may include the following:
- Keeping the surgical area clean
- Wearing a chest support garment to minimise swelling and support the healing process.
- Avoiding strenuous activities and exercise for at least six weeks
- Taking prescribed pain medication as directed
Most patients can return to work within seven to ten days, depending on the nature of their job and individual recovery process.
Risks and Complications
As with any surgical procedure, gynaecomastia surgery carries some risks and potential complications. These may include:
- Changes in sensation
- Poor wound healing
To minimise these risks, it is crucial to choose a highly experienced and qualified surgeon for your gyno surgery in London. Furthermore, following your surgeon’s aftercare instructions and attending all follow-up appointments can help ensure a smooth recovery and optimal results.
Excess skin and enlarged breast tissue are removed and sculpted to create a masculine-looking chest.
Preparing for Gynaecomastia Surgery
Before undergoing gynaecomastia surgery, patients should take the following steps to prepare for the procedure:
- Schedule a consultation with a qualified and experienced plastic surgeon who specialises in gynaecomastia surgery. During the consultation, the surgeon will discuss your goals and concerns, assess your suitability for the procedure, and recommend the most appropriate surgical technique to achieve your desired outcome.
- Undergo a comprehensive medical evaluation to ensure that you are in good health and able to undergo the procedure safely. This may include blood tests, a physical examination, and a review of your medical history.
- Stop smoking for at least six weeks before and after the surgery, as smoking can increase the risk of complications and delay the healing process.
- Avoid taking medications and supplements that can increase the risk of bleeding, such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and vitamin E.
- Arrange for a friend or family member to drive you home after the procedure and help with daily activities during the initial recovery period.
Gynaecomastia Surgery Cost in London and Hertfordshire
The cost of gynaecomastia surgery can vary depending on factors such as the surgeon’s experience, the specific technique used, and the complexity of the procedure. At HR Plastic Surgery, we believe in providing transparent pricing and flexible payment plans to help make gynaecomastia surgery more accessible and affordable for our patients. During your initial consultation, our team will discuss the cost of the procedure and the available financing options. You can find more information on our pricing and payment plans page.
After the excess fatty tissue is removed the patient can enjoy feeling confident being shirtless.
Schedule a Consultation for
If you are considering gynaecomastia surgery, the first step is to schedule a consultation with a qualified and experienced plastic surgeon. At HR Plastic Surgery, we pride ourselves on our compassionate and patient-centred approach to care. During your consultation, our surgeon will discuss your goals and concerns, assess your suitability for gynaecomastia surgery, and recommend the most appropriate surgical technique to achieve your desired outcome.
What to Expect During Your Consultation
During your consultation for gynaecomastia surgery in London, you can expect the following:
- Personalised Assessment: Our surgeon will take the time to understand your unique needs, concerns, and aesthetic goals. They will also conduct a physical examination to evaluate the condition of your chest.
- Informed Decision-Making: The surgeon will provide detailed information about the gynaecomastia surgery, its benefits, and potential risks. This information will help you make an informed decision about whether gynaecomastia surgery is the right option for you.
- Customised Treatment Plan: Based on your goals, concerns, and physical examination, our surgeon will develop a customised treatment plan tailored to your specific needs. This plan will include the recommended surgical technique, as well as any additional procedures that may be necessary to achieve your desired outcome.
- Preoperative Instructions: The surgeon will provide you with preoperative instructions to help you prepare for the surgery, which may include recommendations on smoking cessation, medication adjustments, and any necessary lifestyle changes.
- Cost and Financing Options: Our team will discuss the gynaecomastia surgery cost in London and the available financing options to help you make an informed decision about your treatment.
- Opportunity for Questions: Your consultation is the perfect opportunity to ask any questions you may have about gynaecomastia surgery, the recovery process, and the expected results. Our surgeon will provide clear and honest answers to help you feel confident in your decision.
To schedule a consultation for gynaecomastia surgery with our experienced and compassionate team at HR Plastic Surgery, contact us today. We are committed to helping you achieve a flatter, more masculine chest and a renewed sense of confidence in your appearance.
Why choose us?
At HR Plastic Surgery our patients are our number one priority. We aim to understand each patient’s unique goals with compassion. Our goal is to offer the best possible service and care to all our patients.
Mr Hyder passionately believes that plastic surgery should both rejuvenate and create aesthetic harmony. To book a consultation with us please call us on 020 3907 6830, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or book online via our website.
Meet Mr Ridha
Consultant Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeon
Mr Hyder Ridha is a Consultant, Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeon who read medicine at the prestigious Royal Free and University College London Medical School. He graduated with distinction (MB BS) in 2003 and holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Anatomy and Developmental Biology (First-class Honours).
We are conveniently located in four hospitals throughout London. Find us here:
Hatfield AL10 9UA
One Medical House, Boundary
Way, Hemel Hempstead,
Hertfordshire HP2 7YU
Hitchin SG4 9QZ
Harpenden AL5 4BP
If you require more information on gynaecomastia removal surgery London, please read our most frequently asked questions:
Whether or not it is worth getting gynaecomastia surgery is a personal decision that depends on the individual’s goals and expectations. The physical and emotional benefits of the surgery must outweigh the risks associated with the procedure. It is, therefore, important to discuss the risks and benefits of the surgery with your surgeon to assist you in informed decision-making.
Gynaecomastia surgery is typically performed as a day case procedure under general anaesthetic, so you should not experience any pain during the surgery itself.
The recovery period afterwards can be uncomfortable and involve some pain, but this is managed with over-the-counter pain medications.
The recovery time for gynaecomastia surgery can vary depending on the extent of the surgery and the individual’s healing process. Generally, patients can expect to take up to two weeks off from work and physical activities, with full recovery taking up to 6 weeks.
While the results of gynaecomastia surgery are typically permanent, there is still a chance that the condition may recur over time due to hormonal changes or other factors such as weight gain.
Results will be noticeable immediately after the procedure and will become more evident as the swelling subsides. Final results may take up to 3 months to be achieved.
Exercise is not recommended for at least 6 weeks post-surgery, however, one should first get clearance from your surgeon before resuming an exercise routine.
Generally, breast reduction surgery for gynaecomastia is safe and most patients have smooth recoveries. Despite the greatest attention to safety on the part of the patient and surgeon, complications may occur.
Common complications include bruising, bleeding, fluid collections, contour irregularities, loss of nipple skin, visible scarring, numbness of the nipples, inverted nipples, loose breast skin and asymmetries.
This article is not intended to be used for diagnosis or treatment. It is aimed at presenting a perspective only and is not a substitute for a clinical assessment. Anyone experiencing a medical condition should consult their doctor.